Παρεκκλήσι Αγία Μαύρα κοντά στον Κόρνο
( 3,5 χμ. περίπου) και στα νοτιοανατολικά με το ιστορικό μοναστήρι του Σταυροβουνίου ( 7,5 χμ). Ο καινούργιος δρόμος Λευκωσίας – Λεμεσού περνά έξω από το χωριό περίπου 1 χμ. απόσταση ανατολικά του χωριού.
Δεν μπόρεσα να πληροφορηθώ τίποτε για την προέλευση του χωριού. Πρέπει να είναι παλαιό. Μπορεί να περιέχει το πολύ τριάντα σπίτια. Η θέση του είναι πολύ ευχάριστη, στο μέσο μιας μικρής κοιλάδας γεμάτης ελιές και χαρουπιές. Σχεδόν όλοι οι κάτοικοι ασχολούνται με την αγγειοπλαστική. Τα γύρω βουνά είναι καλυμμένα με κυπαρίσσια που βλαστάνουν πυκνά σε συστάδες εδώ κι εκεί.
Μια ερμηνεία αναφέρει ότι προήλθε από τη γαλλική λέξη corne ή την ιταλική λέξη corno (όπως ακριβώς το χωριό βρίσκεται σημειωμένο σε παλαιούς χάρτες) που σημαίνει κέρας, προεξοχή, κέρατο. Η ερμηνεία αυτή ενισχύεται, γιατί στο ίδιο το χωριό Κόρνος υπάρχει και η ονομασία Κόρνοι (οι) που αφορά δυο κοντινές κορφές οι οποίες είναι μυτερές και μοιάζουν με κέρατα, ενώ και η βουνοκορφή του Πενταδακτύλου μοιάζει επίσης με κέρας.
Υπάρχει, ωστόσο, και η πιθανότητα η ονομασία Κόρνος να διασώζει παρόμοια αρχαία ονομασία, αφού αποδεικνύεται από επιγραφική μαρτυρία ότι υφίστατο στην αρχαία Κύπρο οικισμός που λεγόταν ακριβώς Κόρνος.
Photos 1.1.2016 by George Konstantinou
Kornos is built upon hilly grounds at an average altitude of 320 metres above sea level, receiving an average annual rainfall of about 454 millimetres. Citrus fruits (mainly lemons, tangerines, and bitter oranges), olive and locust trees, cereals, forage plants, vegetables (melons, potatoes, and head cabbages), and a few legumes and fruit-trees are cultivated in its territory.
Apiculture was developed in Kornos since old times. The village's honey is known throughout Cyprus for its excellent quality. Today, 5 small industries in the community are professionally occupied with the production of honey.
In the context of the Vasiliko -- Pentaskinos watering project, a refinery was constructed in the region of Kornos so as to distil the water exclusively designated for the water supply of the city of Nicosia. The refinery, which started operating for the first time in December 1985, is supplied with water from the water-dams of Lefkara and Dipotamos.
Regarding transportation, Kornos is connected to the village of Delikipos in the west (about 3,5 km), the village Pyrga in the east (about 3,5 km), and to the historic monastery of Stavrovouni in the south-east (7,5 km). The new Nicosia - Limassol highway crosses outside the village, at a distance of about 1 km east of the village.
The village has gone through a big and remarkable growth of population since 1881, when the inhabitants numbered 325, until 2001 when they increased to 1862.
Kornos is especially known for its pottery craft, the reputation of which has surpassed the borders of Cyprus and receives world-wide recognition. In the Annual Pan-Hellenic Exposition of Pottery in Amarousio, Kornos has received honours and first prizes. For the manufacture of the clay pots, soil is transferred basically from the foot of the Stavrovouni Mountain and from the region of the Xylia Mountain to the pottery workshop of the Kornos's Co-operative Company of Potters. In the Company's workshops, after the soil is ground and pulverised with special machinery, it is kneaded so as to become the malleable matter to be used for the making of a variety of red pots that include large jars for the keeping of wine, flower-pots, pitchers, censers, "kyvertia" (type of earthenware cylindrical beehive used in apiculture), urns, small ovens, and various other decorative items. The pots/vessels are often decorated with a variety of engraved and embossed representations.
The excursion site of Kornos was created about 1,5 km south of the village, next to the Nicosia - Limassol highway, being under the jurisdiction of the Forests' Department and having a capacity of 150 persons. This excursion site, which is located amongst pines and cypress trees, eucalyptuses, acacias, terebinthes, lentisks, and wild olive trees, offers the comforts necessary recreation and relaxation.
The village also maintains -to a great degree -its traditional folkloric architecture with the tiled roofs of the houses, the walls built with sun-dried bricks and sitting on stone-made bases, the arches, and the wooden doors & windows.
The village was in existence at least since the Frank Domination era and can be found marked in old maps under the exact same name: Corno
"Ali Beys", in reality the Spanish Domingo, who saw Kornos while passing through Cyprus in 1806, writes:
I could not obtain any information about the origin of the village. It must be old. It may contain thirty houses at the most. Its position is very pleasant, in the midst of a small valley ridden with olive and locust trees. Almost all the inhabitants are occupied with pottery. The surrounding mountains are covered with cypress trees that grow in dense tufts here and there.
The village's church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist and was built in the beginning of the previous century. In it there is an icon of the honouree saint that dates back to 1734.
Quite close to Kornos there was a small settlement named Kornokipos, just like the village in the district of Ammochostos. In reality, this small settlement was an extension of the village and it is not marked as a different village in official maps.
There are various interpretations regarding the name Kornos:
One version reports that it came from the French word "corne" or the Italian word "corno" (just as the village is found marked in old maps), meaning horn, protrusion. This interpretation is consolidated because in the village of Kornos there is also the name "Kornoi" (pronounced "Korni", plural), pertaining to two nearby mountaintops that are sharp and resemble horns, whilst the mountaintop of Pentadaktylos also looks like a horn.
Another interpretation reports that during old times many crows, which in the Cypriot dialect are also called "Koronoi" ("KΩPONOI", plural, pronounced Koroni), nested in the mountains that surround the village. The village took its name from these birds after removing the Ω (Omega). Thus it first became "Kornoi" and -later on -was converted to the singular Kornos. Finally, according to tradition, the village took its name from its first inhabitant that was named "Koronos", who seems to have been chatty and hoarse like the homonymous bird.
Kornos (cornus) is also the name of a plant from the Umbelliferae family, which however one does not come across in Cyprus.
Nevertheless, there is the possibility that the name Kornos preserves a similar ancient name, since it is proven through an epigraphic testimony exactly that -in ancient Cyprus -there was a settlement called Kornos.
There are ancient remains in the village's region, proving that it was inhabited since Antiquity. A tomb in the north-east borders of the settlement was examined formerly, dating to the Cyprus's Archaic -- Cyprus's Classical eras.