Friday, 9 September 2016

Ο αρχαιολογικός χώρος της Έγκωμης - Engomi Archaeological Site - Cyprus

Έγκωμη 16ος-12ος αιώνας π.X.
Ύστερη Xαλκοκρατία

Στις αρχές του 16ου αιώνα π.X. στην Aνατολική Kύπρο, στις εκβολές του Πεδιαίου ποταμού δημιουργείται η Έγκωμη, μια πολίχνη η οποία εξυπηρετεί τις ανάγκες του κοντινού λιμανιού, που ασχολείται με την εξαγωγή του χαλκού. Eκεί δημιουργείται μια μικρή πολιτεία, με εργαστήρια επεξεργασίας του χαλκού, της οποίας τη φήμη και τη ζωή εξιστορούν τόσο οι αρχαιολογικές ανασκαφές όσο και οι ιστορικές πηγές. H Έγκωμη εγκαταλείπεται σταδιακά στο τέλος του 12ου αιώνα.

Oι ανασκαφές στην Έγκωμη χρονολογούνται από το 1870, όταν οι αδελφοί Luigi και Alessandro Palma di Cesnola ανακάλυψαν το χώρο και φυγάδευσαν πολλά αντικείμενα από τη νεκρόπολη της εποχής του Xαλκού. Aπό το 1934 μέχρι το 1960 πολλοί ανέσκαψαν την Έγκωμη (Bρετανικό Mουσείο 1896, Kυπριακό Mουσείο με τους John Myers και Mενέλαο Mαρκίδη 1913, Σουηδική Aποστολή 1930) όπου βρέθηκαν πλούσιοι τάφοι με μυκηναϊκά αγγεία και άλλα κτερίσματα που κοσμούν σήμερα πολλά μουσεία. O Γάλλος αρχαιολόγος Claude Schaeffer (που δούλευε στη γειτονική Oυγκαρίτ) μαζί με τη Γαλλική Aποστολή και ο Kύπριος αρχαιολόγος Πορφύριο Δίκαιος, εκ μέρους του Tμήματος Aρχαιοτήτων ανακαλύπτουν την πόλη της Έγκωμης.
Πηγή http://www.famagusta.org.cy/default_print.asp?id=265

Ο αρχαιολογικός χώρος της Έγκωμης αποτελεί έναν από τους πλουσιότερους αρχαιολογικούς χώρους της Ύστερης Εποχής του Χαλκού στην Κύπρο. Η αρχαία αυτή πόλη βρίσκεται στην ανατολική ακτή της Κύπρου, περίπου 3 χιλιόμετρα βορειοδυτικά της Σαλαμίνας και στα δυτικά του σύγχρονου χωριού της Έγκωμης στην επαρχία Αμμοχώστου. Με την τουρκική εισβολή του 1974 ο χώρος βρίσκεται υπό την κατοχή των τουρκικών στρατευμάτων.

Οι πρώτες έρευνες στο χώρο έγιναν το 1896 από την αρχαιολογική αποστολή του Βρετανικού Μουσείου όταν αποκαλύφθηκε αριθμός τάφων οι οποίοι περιείχαν πλούσια κτερίσματα όπως: χρυσά αντικείμενα, αντικείμενα από ελεφαντοστό, σκαραβαίους και κυρίως Μυκηναϊκά αγγεία.

Το 1913 ο Sir John Myres μαζί με τον τότε Έφορο του Κυπριακού Μουσείου, M. Μαρκίδη, διεξήγαγαν σύντομη αρχαιολογική έρευνα στην Έγκωμη. Το 1930 η Σουηδική Αρχαιολογική Αποστολή, υπό τη διεύθυνση του Καθ. E. Gjerstad, ανέσκαψε μεγάλο αριθμό τάφων οι οποίοι περιείχαν πλούσια κτερίσματα.

Το 1934 ο Γάλλος Καθ. Claude Schaeffer, ο οποίος τότε ανέσκαπτε τη θέση Ras-Shamra (αρχαία Ugarit στη Συρία), ξεκίνησε ανασκαφές στην αρχαία Έγκωμη για λογαριασμό του Académie des Incriptions et Belles-Lettres. Ο Schaeffer ήθελε να βρει στοιχεία που να αποδείκνυαν τις επαφές της Κύπρου με τη Συριακή ακτή. Εκτός από το ενδιαφέρον του για τους τάφους της Έγκωμης, ο Schaeffer ήθελε να ανακαλύψει την αρχαία πόλη στην οποία ανήκαν οι τάφοι, ίχνη της οποίας δεν είχαν μέχρι τότε αποκαλυφθεί. Τα αποτελέσματα της έρευνας του 1934 ήταν μεγάλης σημασίας. Αποκαλύφθηκε μεγάλων διαστάσεων κτίριο του 12ου αι. π.Χ. το οποίο ονόμασε ‘the House of the Bronzes’ (Οικία των Χάλκινων) λόγω του μεγάλου αριθμού χάλκινων αντικειμένων που βρέθηκε εντός του κτιρίου. Τα στοιχεία αυτά απέδειξαν ότι η αρχαία πόλη της Έγκωμης βρισκόταν στην ίδια περιοχή με τη νεκρόπολη.

Κατά την περίοδο 1946 – 1947 ο Schaeffer απεκάλυψε τμήματα των οχυρώσεων της πόλης και το 1948 κάλεσε το Τμήμα Αρχαιοτήτων για να συμμετάσχει στις ανασκαφές του αρχαιολογικού χώρου. Ο τότε έφορος του Κυπριακού Μουσείου Δρ. Π. Δίκαιος τοποθετήθηκε επικεφαλής της ομάδας του Τμήματος Αρχαιοτήτων.

Ο αρχαιολογικός χώρος δεν είναι ορατός από τη Σαλαμίνα και απλώνεται πίσω από ένα βραχώδες έξαρμα το οποίο απλώνεται στα δυτικά του σύγχρονου ομώνυμου χωριού, στην πλατιά πεδιάδα της Μεσαορίας. Η αρχαία αυτή πόλη αποτελεί την πρώτη και μεγαλύτερη σε έκταση πόλη που έχει συστηματικά ανασκαφεί στην Κύπρο και η ανασκαφική έρευνα μας έχει δώσει πολύ σημαντικές πληροφορίες σχετικά με την ιστορία του νησιού κατά τη 2η χιλιετία π. Χ. Το υλικό που έχει έρθει στο φως εμπλουτίζει τις γνώσεις μας όσον αφορά την ιστορία της τέχνης του νησιού αλλά και για τις πολιτιστικές και οικονομικές επαφές του νησιού με άλλες περιοχές της Μεσογείου. Κατά την αρχαιότητα η Έγκωμη συνδεόταν με τη θάλασσα μέσω ενός πλωτού καναλιού το οποίο όμως βρίσκεται σήμερα επιχωματωμένο. Όπως και σε άλλες αρχαίες πόλεις της ίδιας περιόδου (βλ. Κίτιον), έτσι και η Έγκωμη διέθετε και λιμάνι.

Περί το τέλος της Μέσης Εποχής του Χαλκού στην Έγκωμη υπήρχε μικρή γεωργική κοινότητα η οποία είχε διαδεχτεί τη σημαντική πόλη της Καλοψίδας που βρίσκεται στα δυτικά της Έγκωμης. Η φάση αυτή διακόπηκε γύρω στο 1750 όταν οι Υξώς (αρχαίος λαός που αναφέρεται στην Παλαιά Διαθήκη) εισέβαλαν στην Αίγυπτο όπου και παρέμειναν μέχρι το 1580 π.Χ. Παρόλο που οι Υξώς δεν έφθασαν ποτέ στην Κύπρο είναι πιθανόν ότι το ανατολικό τμήμα του νησιού είχε επηρεαστεί από τις δραστηριότητές τους και ίσως είναι για το λόγο αυτό που δεν έχουν βρεθεί αρχιτεκτονικά κατάλοιπα στην Έγκωμη που να χρονολογούνται στο 17ο. π.Χ. μέχρι τις αρχές του 16ου αι. π.Χ.

Το 1550 π.Χ. ξεκινά μια περίοδος ακμής για την Έγκωμη η οποία φαίνεται να λειτουργούσε ως σημαντικό κέντρο εκμετάλλευσης και εξαγωγής χαλκού στην ανατολή και τη δύση. Γύρω στο 1400 π. Χ. οι Μυκηναίοι άρχοντες του Αιγαίου, εξαπλώνονται προς ανατολάς, στα μεγάλα εμπορικά κέντρα των ανατολικών και νότιων ακτών της Κύπρου. Από τα κέντρα αυτά διεξάγουν το εμπόριό τους με την ανατολική Μεσόγειο. Η παρουσία τους στην Έγκωμη φαίνεται από τα άφθονα Μυκηναϊκά αγγεία και άλλα αντικείμενα τα οποία έχουν βρεθεί ως κτερίσματα σε τάφους. Η ύπαρξη πλούτου στην Έγκωμη εκδηλώνεται με το μεγάλο αριθμό χρυσών ταφικών αντικειμένων τα οποία φανερώνουν τις επαφές της Έγκωμης με την Αίγυπτο, τη Μέση Ανατολή και το Αιγαίο.

Οι τάφοι της πιο πάνω περιόδου έχουν ομοιότητες με τους τάφους του Κιτίου και της Ουγγαρίτ (Συρία) και είναι λαξευμένοι στο φυσικό βράχο μέσα στις εσωτερικές αυλές των οικιών. Οι πρώτες αρχαιολογικές έρευνες στο χώρο χρονολόγησαν τα αρχιτεκτονικά κατάλοιπα της πόλης σε μεταγενέστερη φάση από τους τάφους και έτσι πολλά από τα κατάλοιπα αυτά αφαιρέθηκαν.

Τα τέλη του 13ου αι. π. Χ συνδέονται με την άφιξη των πρώτων Αχαιών αποίκων. Είναι κατά την περίοδο αυτή που ανεγέρθηκαν τα κυκλώπεια τείχη και οι πύργοι της πόλης. Τα τείχη έχουν αποκαλυφθεί σε όλη τους την έκταση, αποκαλύπτοντας έτσι και το μέγεθος της αρχαίας πόλης. Η πόλη εκτινόταν 400μ από Β – Ν και 350μ από Α-Δ. Κατά την ίδια περίοδο τροποποιήθηκε η ρυμοτομική διαρρύθμιση της πόλης. Οι δρόμοι τοποθετήθηκαν σε ευθείες γραμμές οι οποίες τέμνονταν κάθετα με άλλους δρόμους. Επίσης δημιουργήθηκε μια πλακοστρωμένη ‘δημόσια’ πλατεία. Επιπλέον, η περίοδος αυτή χαρακτηρίζεται από την ανέγερση μνημειακών δημόσιων κτιρίων με νέα αρχιτεκτονική μορφή. Το χαρακτηριστικό των κτιρίων αυτών είναι η ύπαρξη μεγάλων τετραγωνισμένων λαξευτών λίθων, στοιχείο πιθανόν που να παραπέμπει σε ανατολικά πρότυπα αφού τα βρίσκουμε και στην Ουγκαρίτ. Επίσης εμφανίζονται και Ελληνικά στοιχεία όπως η χρήση του Μυκηναϊκού ‘μεγάρου’.

Κτίριο 18 Βρίσκεται πάνω στον 5ο δρόμο και ο Schaeffer το θεώρησε ως παλάτι Αχαιού αρχηγού. Το μήκος του ξεπερνά τα 40μ και είναι κτισμένο με μεγάλους τετραγωνισμένους λίθους κάποιοι από τους οποίους ξεπερνούν τα 3μ σε μήκος και 1,40μ ύψος. Το κτίριο αυτό καταστράφηκε στις αρχές του 12ου αι. π.Χ. και ξανακτίστηκε λειτουργώντας ως εργαστήριο χωρισμένο σε πολλά δωμάτια. Στην εσωτερική αυλή του κτιρίου 18 η Σουηδική αποστολή ανέσκαψε τον Τάφο 18 ο οποίος θεωρήθηκε ως πιθανός τάφος ενός από τους πρώτους Αχαιούς που κατέφθασαν στην Κύπρο.

Ιερό του Κερασφόρου Θεού Το Ιερό αυτό αποτελείται από μεγάλων διαστάσεων δωμάτιο το οποίο περιβάλλουν άλλα βοηθητικά δωμάτια. Aπό το κτίριο αυτό (το νότιο του τμήμα) προέρχεται το γνωστό χάλκινο αγαλματίδιο του ‘Κερασφόρου Θεού’ (σήμερα βρίσκεται στο Κυπριακό Μουσείο στη Λευκωσία). Οι ανασκαφική έρευνα που έγινε κάτω από το δάπεδο του ιερού απεκάλυψε αρχαιολογικά στρώματα που χρονολογούνται από το 16ο μέχρι τον 13ο αι. π. Χ. 

Ιερό του Θεού Ιστάμενου σε Τάλαντο Μεταξύ του 4ου και του 5ου δρόμου και ανατολικά της πλακοστρωμένης πλατείας είναι κτισμένο ακόμη ένα ιερό μέσα στο οποίο βρέθηκε το χάλκινο αγαλματίδιο του θεού ιστάμενου σε τάλαντο. Το ιερό αποτελείται από ένα μεγάλο δωμάτιο διαστάσεων 16 Χ 10μ που περιβάλλεται από βοηθητικά δωμάτια. Οι τοίχοι του κυρίως δωματίου φέρουν κτιστά έδρανα όπου οι πιστοί τοποθετούσαν τις λατρευτικές τους προσφορές.


Η Έγκωμη είναι κατάσπαρτη από τάφους λαξευμένους στο φυσικό βράχο, οι οποίοι βρίσκονται μέσα στις εσωτερικές αυλές των κτισμάτων. Υπάρχουν και κτιστοί τάφοι στα ανατολικά του ‘Ιερού του Κερασφόρου Θεού’. Δύο από τους τάφους αυτούς έχουν ορθογώνια κάτοψη και επίπεδες στέγες αποτελούμενες από λίθινη πλάκα. Μια λίθινη κλίμακα οδηγούσε στο ‘στόμιο’ του τάφου. Οι περισσότεροι τάφοι βρέθηκαν συλημένοι αλλά μπορούν να χρονολογηθούν στο 13ο αι. π. Χ. Ο τρίτος τάφος είναι θολωτός. Το κατώτερό του τμήμα είναι κτισμένο με λίθους ενώ το ανώτερο με ψημένους πλίνθους. Έχει ωοειδή κάτοψη και αποτελεί μοναδικό παράδειγμα στην Κύπρο. Χρονολογείται στο 13ο αι. π. Χ.

Με τις επιδρομές των ‘Λαών της Θάλασσας’ ξεκίνησε η παρακμή της Έγκωμης αν και δεν υπάρχουν στοιχεία που να φανερώνουν ότι έπαυσε να παίζει η πόλη αυτή, σημαντικό ρόλο στην οικονομική και πολιτική ζωή του νησιού. Η παραγωγή χαλκού εξακολούθησε να αποτελεί τη βασική οικονομική δραστηριότητα της πόλης. Το μεγάλο ‘παλάτι’ (Κτίριο 18) έχασε σταδιακά την αίγλη του αλλά το Ιερό εξακολούθησε να υφίσταται.

Στα τέλη του 11ου αι. π. Χ η Έγκωμη καταστράφηκε από σεισμό και οι κάτοικοι σταδιακά εγκατέλειψαν την πόλη. Το νέο πολιτιστικό, πολιτικό και καλλιτεχνικό κέντρο έμελλε να είναι η Σαλαμίνα.

Βιβλιογραφία: Dikaios, P. 1969 and 1971, Egkomi: Excavations 1948 - 1958. Vols I - III. Mainz. 

Πηγή http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/DA/DA.nsf/0/13527D903A85ECC8C225726E003A13CE?OpenDocument

The archaeological site of Enkomi is one of the richest Late Bronze Age sites in Cyprus. This ancient town is situated on the island’s eastern coast, around 3 km to the northwest of Salamis and to the west of the modern village of Engomi in the Ammochostos district. The site is presently under the control of the Turkish occupation forces

The first investigations were made in the area in 1896 by the British Museum archaeological expedition. During these investigations a number of tombs were unearthed consisting of rich grave goods such as: gold objects, ivory, scarabs and Mycenaean pottery. In 1913 Sir John Myres along with the then Cyprus Museum Curator M. Markides, conducted a short archaeological investigation in Enkomi. In 1930 the Swedish Expedition, directed by E. Gjerstad, dug a large number of tombs with rich grave goods. In 1934 the French professor C. Schaeffer, who was at that time excavating Ras-Shamra (ancient Ugarit in Syria), began to excavate at ancient Enkomi on behalf of the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres. Schaeffer wanted to find evidence that would prove Cyprus’ contact with the Syrian coast.

Apart from his interest in Enkomi’s tombs, Schaeffer also wished to discover the remains of the ancient town to which the tombs belonged. Schaeffer’s 1934 archaeological results were of great importance. A large 12th century B.C. building was unearthed and named ‘The House of the Bronzes’ due to the large quantities of bronze objects found inside it. The ancient town of Enkomi was therefore situated in the same area as the necropolis. Between 1946 – 1947 Schaeffer discovered parts of the town’s fortifications and in 1948 he invited the Cyprus Department of Antiquities to join him in the excavations. The then Curator of the Department of Antiquities Dr. P. Dikaios led the Department’s mission at the site.

The archaeological site of Enkomi is not visible from Salamis and it is situated behind a rocky area in the wide Mesaoria plain. The ancient town is the first and largest ancient town that has been systematically excavated in Cyprus yielding extremely important information concerning the island’s history during the 2nd millennium B.C. The material that has been excavated sheds light upon the island’s artistic development and its cultural and economic contacts with other areas in the Mediterranean. During antiquity, Enkomi was connected to the sea with a navigable channel which was later filled in. Like other towns of the same period (e.g. Kition), Enkomi had a port.

At around the end of the Middle Bronze Age a small farming community had settled at Enkomi. This community was probably the successor of the Kalopsida settlement, situated to the west of Enkomi. This settlement phase was interrupted at around 1750 B.C. when the Hyksos (an ancient people mentioned in the Old Testament) invaded Egypt where they established themselves as rulers until 1580 B.C. Although the Hyksos did not reach Cyprus directly, it is probable that at least they affected the east part of the island. This may account for the scarcity of architectural remains belonging to the 17th and the beginning of the 16th century at Enkomi.

At around 1550 B.C. a period of great prosperity begins at Enkomi. The town seems to have been an important center for the working and exporting of copper. At around 1400 B.C. the eastward expansion of Mycenaean commercial activity also affected Cyprus. The Mycenaeans conducted their commercial transactions with the eastern Mediterranean from the island’s eastern and southern commercial centers. The abundance of Mycenaean pottery and other objects found in tombs attests to the presence of Mycenaeans at Enkomi. Enkomi’s economic prosperity can be seen in the large number of gold grave goods, which also indicate the town’s links with Egypt, the Middle East and the Aegean. The tombs that belong to the above period resemble those of Kition and Ugarit (Syria) and are cut into the natural rock, within the houses’ courtyards. The area’s first archaeological investigations had assumed that the town’s remains were of a later date than the tombs and so many of these remains were removed.

The end of the 13th century is considered to be the time of the arrival of the first Achaean settlers. During this period the cyclopean walls and the town’s towers were constructed. The walls have been revealed to their full extent and consequently the town’s size can be estimated. The town spread 400m from north to south and 350m from east to west. It is during this period that the town’s road layout was altered. The roads were laid out in straight lines and were intersected perpendicularly by other roads. In addition, a paved ‘public’ square was created. This period is also characterized by the erection of monumental public buildings of a new architectural style. These buildings bear large ashlar stones a feature, which possibly indicates eastern prototypes since we find similar characteristics at Ugarit. Characteristics deriving from the Greek world also appear, such as the Mycenaean ‘megaron’ used in architecture.

Enkomi is packed with rock-cut tombs, located within the house’s courtyards. Built tombs also exist to the east of the ‘sanctuary of the Horned God’. Two of these are of rectangular plan and have flat roofs consisting of a stone slab. A stone stairway led to the tomb’s ‘mouth’ (stomion). Most of the tombs were found looted but can be dated to the 13th century B.C. The third tomb is dome-shaped, its lower part built of stones and the upper part of baked bricks. Its plan is oval in shape and is a unique example of tomb architecture in Cyprus. The tomb is dated to the 13th century B.C.

Enkomi’s decline began with the raids of the ‘Sea Peoples’ although there is no evidence to support the argument that Enkomi ceased to play an important role in Cyprus’ economic and political life. Copper production remained the town’s basic industry. The large ‘palace’ (Building 18) gradually lost its splendor whereas the sanctuaries were maintained. Towards the end of the 11th century B.C. Enkomi was ruined by an earthquake and its inhabitants gradually abandoned the town. The town of Salamis was to become the next cultural, political and artistic center.

Enkomi
The archaeological site of Enkomi is one of the richest Late Bronze Age sites in Cyprus. This ancient town is situated on the island’s eastern coast, around 3 km to the northwest of Salamis and to the west of the modern village of Engomi in the Ammochostos district. The site is presently under the control of the Turkish occupation forces.

The first investigations were made in the area in 1896 by the British Museum archaeological expedition. During these investigations a number of tombs were unearthed consisting of rich grave goods such as: gold objects, ivory, scarabs and Mycenaean pottery. In 1913 Sir John Myres along with the then Cyprus Museum Curator M. Markides, conducted a short archaeological investigation in Enkomi. In 1930 the Swedish Expedition, directed by E. Gjerstad, dug a large number of tombs with rich grave goods. In 1934 the French professor C. Schaeffer, who was at that time excavating Ras-Shamra (ancient Ugarit in Syria), began to excavate at ancient Enkomi on behalf of the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres. Schaeffer wanted to find evidence that would prove Cyprus’ contact with the Syrian coast.

Apart from his interest in Enkomi’s tombs, Schaeffer also wished to discover the remains of the ancient town to which the tombs belonged. Schaeffer’s 1934 archaeological results were of great importance. A large 12th century B.C. building was unearthed and named ‘The House of the Bronzes’ due to the large quantities of bronze objects found inside it. The ancient town of Enkomi was therefore situated in the same area as the necropolis. Between 1946 – 1947 Schaeffer discovered parts of the town’s fortifications and in 1948 he invited the Cyprus Department of Antiquities to join him in the excavations. The then Curator of the Department of Antiquities Dr. P. Dikaios led the Department’s mission at the site.

The archaeological site of Enkomi is not visible from Salamis and it is situated behind a rocky area in the wide Mesaoria plain. The ancient town is the first and largest ancient town that has been systematically excavated in Cyprus yielding extremely important information concerning the island’s history during the 2nd millennium B.C. The material that has been excavated sheds light upon the island’s artistic development and its cultural and economic contacts with other areas in the Mediterranean. During antiquity, Enkomi was connected to the sea with a navigable channel which was later filled in. Like other towns of the same period (e.g. Kition), Enkomi had a port.

At around the end of the Middle Bronze Age a small farming community had settled at Enkomi. This community was probably the successor of the Kalopsida settlement, situated to the west of Enkomi. This settlement phase was interrupted at around 1750 B.C. when the Hyksos (an ancient people mentioned in the Old Testament) invaded Egypt where they established themselves as rulers until 1580 B.C. Although the Hyksos did not reach Cyprus directly, it is probable that at least they affected the east part of the island. This may account for the scarcity of architectural remains belonging to the 17th and the beginning of the 16th century at Enkomi.

At around 1550 B.C. a period of great prosperity begins at Enkomi. The town seems to have been an important center for the working and exporting of copper. At around 1400 B.C. the eastward expansion of Mycenaean commercial activity also affected Cyprus. The Mycenaeans conducted their commercial transactions with the eastern Mediterranean from the island’s eastern and southern commercial centers. The abundance of Mycenaean pottery and other objects found in tombs attests to the presence of Mycenaeans at Enkomi. Enkomi’s economic prosperity can be seen in the large number of gold grave goods, which also indicate the town’s links with Egypt, the Middle East and the Aegean. The tombs that belong to the above period resemble those of Kition and Ugarit (Syria) and are cut into the natural rock, within the houses’ courtyards. The area’s first archaeological investigations had assumed that the town’s remains were of a later date than the tombs and so many of these remains were removed.

The end of the 13th century is considered to be the time of the arrival of the first Achaean settlers. During this period the cyclopean walls and the town’s towers were constructed. The walls have been revealed to their full extent and consequently the town’s size can be estimated. The town spread 400m from north to south and 350m from east to west. It is during this period that the town’s road layout was altered. The roads were laid out in straight lines and were intersected perpendicularly by other roads. In addition, a paved ‘public’ square was created. This period is also characterized by the erection of monumental public buildings of a new architectural style. These buildings bear large ashlar stones a feature, which possibly indicates eastern prototypes since we find similar characteristics at Ugarit. Characteristics deriving from the Greek world also appear, such as the Mycenaean ‘megaron’ used in architecture.

Building 18

This building is located on the 5th road and Schaeffer considered it to be the palace of an Achaean chief. The building is 40m long and is of ashlar masonry. Some stones are more than 3m in length and 1,40m high. The building was ruined at the beginning of the 12th century B.C. and was rebuilt as a workshop and divided into many rooms. In the courtyard of Building 18 the Swedish Expedition excavated Tomb 18, which was considered to be the possible burial of one of the island’s first Achaean settlers.

The sanctuary of the ‘Horned God’
Enkomi: statuette of horned god

This sanctuary consists of a large room surrounded by other auxiliary rooms. It was in the south part of this building that the famous bronze statuette depicting a ‘Horned God’ was unearthed (exhibited in the Cyprus Museum in Lefkosia). Excavations under the sanctuary’s floor revealed strata dated from the 16th up to the 13th century B.C.

The sanctuary of the god standing on an ingot

Another sanctuary is situated between the 4th and 5th road, to the east of the paved square. The well-known statuette of a god standing on an ingot was found inside this sanctuary, which consists of a large room (16X10m) surrounded by other auxiliary rooms. The large room’s walls consist of built-in benches where worshippers placed their religious offerings.

Tombs

Enkomi is packed with rock-cut tombs, located within the house’s courtyards. Built tombs also exist to the east of the ‘sanctuary of the Horned God’. Two of these are of rectangular plan and have flat roofs consisting of a stone slab. A stone stairway led to the tomb’s ‘mouth’ (stomion). Most of the tombs were found looted but can be dated to the 13th century B.C. The third tomb is dome-shaped, its lower part built of stones and the upper part of baked bricks. Its plan is oval in shape and is a unique example of tomb architecture in Cyprus. The tomb is dated to the 13th century B.C.

Enkomi’s decline began with the raids of the ‘Sea Peoples’ although there is no evidence to support the argument that Enkomi ceased to play an important role in Cyprus’ economic and political life. Copper production remained the town’s basic industry. The large ‘palace’ (Building 18) gradually lost its splendor whereas the sanctuaries were maintained. Towards the end of the 11th century B.C. Enkomi was ruined by an earthquake and its inhabitants gradually abandoned the town. The town of Salamis was to become the next cultural, political and artistic center.

Bibliography: Dikaios, P. 1969 and 1971, Egkomi: Excavations 1948 - 1958. Vols I - III. Mainz.


Photos 8/9/2016 by George Konstantinou














No comments:

Post a Comment