Monday, 19 October 2015

Μοναστήρι Αγιου Παντελεήμονα Μύρτου - Monastery of the Saint Panteleimon at Myrtou village Cyprus


Ο σημερινός οικισμός της Μύρτου φαίνεται να σχηματίστηκε γύρω από το μοναστήρι του Αγίου Παντελεήμονα. Το μοναστήρι διαδραμάτισε σημαντικό κοινωνικοοικονομικό ρόλο στην εξέλιξη του χωριού και της περιοχής γενικότερα, ιδιαίτερα στα χρόνια της Τουρκοκρατίας. Επίσης υπήρξε το θρησκευτικό και πνευματικό κέντρο της περιοχής. Η χρονολογία της ίδρυσης του μοναστηριού δεν είναι γνωστή αλλά υπολογίζεται ότι ιδρύθηκε γύρω στο 1600 μ.Χ. Το μοναστήρι μεγάλωσε και απέκτησε μεγάλη περιουσία, έτσι που να θεωρείται σαν ένα από τα πλουσιότερα μοναστήρια του νησιού μας. Γύρω στα 1800 μ.Χ. στο χώρο αυτό στεγάστηκε η Ιερά Μητρόπολη Κυρηνείας μέχρι το 1917 μ.Χ. οπόταν μεταφέρθηκε στην οριστική της έδρα στην πόλη της Κερύνειας. Το μοναστήρι του Αγίου Παντελεήμονα, στην περίοδο της μεγάλης του ακμής, διέθετε κοπάδια από αιγοπρόβατα και αγελάδες και περιβόλια με τρεχούμενα νερά και άφθονα οπωροκηπευτικά. Υπήρχαν άφθονες μουριές για την εκτροφή του μεταξοσκώληκα, ελαιόδενδρα, χαρουπιές, συκιές, ροδιές και αμπέλια. Πολλοί κάτοικοι από τα γύρω χωριά έρχονταν για να εργαστούν στα κτήματα του μοναστηριού. Μερικοί από αυτούς ενοικίαζαν συνεταιρικά τα κτήματα της μονής για να τα καλλιεργήσουν. Λέγονταν «Πομισιάρηδες» και μαζί τους έφερναν και τις οικογένειές τους. Το μοναστήρι τους παραχωρούσε γη για να στεγαστούν και έτσι σταδιακά άρχισε να δημιουργείται το χωριό. Εκτός από τους εργάτες και τους «Πομισιάρηδες», στο χωριό κατέφθαναν και άνθρωποι που θεραπεύτηκαν από διάφορες ασθένειες με τη βοήθεια του Αγίου Παντελεήμονα και αποφάσισαν να παραμείνουν στο μοναστήρι και να προσφέρουν τις υπηρεσίες τους αμισθί. Ονομάζονταν «Σκλάβοι του Αγίου» και το μοναστήρι τους παραχωρούσε δωρεάν διατροφή και διαμονή. Πηγή http://www.myrtou.org.cy
Γιώργος Κουρούγιαννης

The Monastery of the Saint Panteleimon
Myrtou village owns its development to its monastery of the ST Panteleimon. The monastery played an important socio economic role in the development of the village and the area in general.

The story of the monastery's foundation has not been proven since there is no written proof. Therefore we turn to tradition and sayings of elder people. According to tradition two monks from Lapithos Dorotheos and Dositheos, left their monastery of ST Panteleimon at Agio Oros coming back to their island Cyprus to start a new monastery. With them they brought pieces of the holy bones of ST Panteleimon. The two monks tried to find a quiet place in the Lapithos and Karavas area but with no result. They moved on to an area today called AERAS, which was full of wild vegetation. Tired and thirsty as they were they sat down and prayed to their Saint to help them. As they were praying they saw water coming from the marble stones next to them. They drank water and thanked ST Panteleimon for his help. In the same place today you can find the Agiasma holy water of ST Panteleimon.

The two monks decided to start their monastery in this area. At first they built a small church and two rooms for themselves. An icon of Saint Panteleimon was placed in the church together with his holy bones for believers to visit. The monastery is said to have been founded around 1600 A.D.

Gradually the monastery grew bigger and bigger acguiring property. It became one of the richest monasteries of the island, offering jobs to the people of the villages around the area. The monastery had lots of fields for cultivation, floks of sheep, goats and cows. Later on the people that came to work the monastery's land brought their families together as well as believers that have been healed by the Saint and a new village was created around the monastery. This was the beginning of the village.

Saint Panteleimon is celebrated on 27 July each year. Many people from all over Cyprus were visiting the monastery to pay their respects to Saint Panteleimon. Before 1922, when Asia Minor was Greek, many worshipers were coming to Cyprus and to St Panteleimon monastery.


The area around here saw extensive fighting in 1974. Camlibel is at the high point of the lowest pass on the Kyrenia mountains. It can be protected by artillery from the mountains above Lapta, and once through the pass, there is a fairly clear run to Nicosia and on to Famagusta. Contemporary reports show that during the August cease fire, the Greek and Turkish armies were only 100 yards apart. Separated by a thin line of British soldiers who had orders not to open fire under any circumstances! The Daily Express carried the following report on 7 August 1974.
Photos  16/10/2015 by George Konstantinou














































































Κατά την  αναστήλωση 
Photos 4/9/2016 by George Konstantinou








No comments:

Post a Comment